Yan is an illegal second child born during the time of China’s One-Child policy. To avoid government punishment, Yan’s parents hide their oldest daughter in the countryside and raise Yan as a girl. Now a young adult, Yan struggles with his gender identity and being treated as an outcast in a conservative society. His sole escape is drifting his father’s old taxi through abandoned parking lots.
Hanxiong Bo is a filmmaker born and raised in Beijing and based in Los Angeles. He loves to tell stories about relationships, trauma and struggles of ordinary people, rarely shared.
His latest film DRIFTING premiered at the 67th San Sebastian International Film Festival and continues its festival journey worldwide. It was a Student Academy Award Semifinalist and chosen for the 2019 CAA Moebius Showcase. Bo’s previous film HAIRCUT was selected by multiple Academy Qualifying film festivals. He was selected to participate in 2020 Werner Herzog’s Filmmaking Workshop in the Colombia jungle where he will make a film under Herzog’s mentorship. He is also a Cine Qua Non screenwriters Lab fellow in 2020.
Hanxiong Bo is the recipient of the Jack Nicholson Distinguished Student Director Award and the HFPA Directing Fellowship. His working credits include DISTANT VISION directed by Francis Ford Coppola and Assistant to the award-winning filmmaker Jennifer Reeder.
Bo is currently developing his first feature film in L.A. He received his BFA degree in Film and Media Arts from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, and his MFA degree in Film Directing from the University of California, Los Angeles.
– Official Selection of 67th San Sebastian International Film Festival (A-list festival)
– Official Selection of 44th Atlanta Film Festival (Oscar-Qualifying)
– Official Selection of 37th Busan International Short Film Festival (Oscar-Qualifying)
– Official Selection of 32th FilmFest Dresden International Short Film Festival
– Official Selection of 22th Tel Aviv International Student Film Festival
– Official Selection of 2020 Maryland Film Festival
– Official Selection of 2020 Hong Kong Arthouse Film Festival
– 46th Student Academy Award Semifinalist
– Official Selection of 2019 CAA Moebius Showcase
– Official Selection of 2019 UCLA Director’s Spotlight Film Festival